Matthew Madden, Jr. is an experienced advisor and trial lawyer representing businesses and individuals through all avenues of dispute resolution including trial, arbitration, mediation, and private settlement negotiations. Matt provides counsel to individuals, business entities, construction project owners, developers, general contractors, construction management firms, subcontractors, and suppliers in various commercial disputes and litigation matters.
A seasoned litigator, Matt represents clients in a wide variety of matters, including construction claims, commercial disputes, condominium cases, insurance coverage issues, and toy claims in multiparty, complex litigation in state and federal courts, as well as through alternative dispute resolution. He also authored an article titled, “May I Have This Dance, to Wrap or Not,” published in “For the Defense,” DRI’s monthly magazine, and addressed owner or contractor-controlled insurance programs, commonly referred to as “wrap policies” that continue to emerge within the construction industry.
Clients routinely draw on Matt’s practical advice, depth of experience and strategic guidance when dealing which such complicated and stressful situations.
Prior to attending law school, Matt worked in the financial services industry helping institutional banking clients with their business needs and in establishing successful client management goals.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of general contractor for breach of contract and indemnification against its subcontractor and arising out of an incident involving a carpenter who fell from an elevated height and sustained an alleged brain injury
- Successfully represented owner of high-end residential home in prosecuting claims of breach of contract and malpractice against architect
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of a construction management company against claims of alleged breach of contract and violations M.G.L. c. 93A brought by a project subcontractor following the construction of a regional high school
- Obtained significant settlement for condominium in federal court civil action in connection with defective construction and design against developer of condominium development
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a business and municipality in a mandamus action brought pursuant to M.G.L. c. 249, § 5 and seeking a judgment invalidating a negotiated lease for the purpose of constructing telecommunications facilities and enjoining the municipality from disposing of the property at issue without complying with the requirements set forth in Article 97 of the Amendments to the Massachusetts Constitution
- Successfully defended prominent university arbitration in connection with negligence, failure to warn and premise liability action
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of one of the largest privately held real estate organizations in New England in connection with a premise liability action
- Successfully represented individuals, contractors, and commercial tenants in connection with the prosecution and defense of mechanic’s liens claims
- Successfully defended a national asbestos removal company against claims of contractual indemnification, declaratory judgment and statutory contribution brought by a regional energy provider following a fire at a commercial building and that caused a multi-million-dollar loss
- Successfully defended a regional gas, electric and telecommunication utility provider against a developer following a water main break that caused losses at various commercial properties throughout the City of Boston
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of general contractor against claims of breach of contract and defective construction brought by owner after it was determined by the Court that such claims were barred by the statute of repose
- Successfully defended medical providers and institutions in malpractice claims through all stages of litigation from M.G.L. c. 231, s. 60L investigations up to, and including, trial
- Boston Bar Association, member
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association (HCLA
- “Rising Star,” Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine (2020 – 2023)
- New Hampshire
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
Suffolk University School of Law, J.D., cum laude (2012)
College of the Holy Cross, B.A. (2007)