Christopher A. Kenney
Chris Kenney, a co-founder of Kenney & Sams, P.C., is a nationally recognized litigator and advocate who has successfully tried cases and argues appeals before the state and federal courts in Massachusetts and several other states. He served as the 2018-2019 President of the Massachusetts Bar Association, and was the Director of the 2018 IADC Trial Academy at Stanford University Law School. Chris brings deep experience as an exceptional trial lawyer to all work with clients – advice, risk management, negotiation, mediation, arbitration and courtroom strategy.
Chris advises and defends companies, organizations and individuals on contracts and agreements, construction and development, workforce management and product integrity and safety. His clients are local and national, and represent industries as diverse as real estate, construction, manufacturing, health care, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and food service. Chris also represents public officials and political candidates on election law and public policy matters.
Whether defending a multi-million dollar development project or negotiating the dissolution of a business partnership, Chris is known for his determination, passion, and preparation as he devises effective strategies to achieve clients’ objectives. While known as a formidable, tenacious adversary, Chris values and advances respectful working relationships with all parties to a dispute.
Over the years, Chris has fostered strong business connections and professional relationships through work with local, national and international bar associations and appointments to commissions and committees. In fact, the Massachusetts Attorney General appointed Chris to a six-year term as a Special Assistant Attorney General representing the Commonwealth in construction defect claims, constitutional law and eminent domain matters.
Chris is rated AV by Martindale Hubbell, was named “2012 Massachusetts Defense lawyer of the Year” by the Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, is a Boston Magazine “Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts” honoree, and is consistently recognized by New England Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America©. He served on the adjunct faculty at Boston University School of Law, and frequently writes and lectures for business groups, trade associations and bar associations.
- Pulllman Arms, Inc. v. Healey, 364 F. Supp.3d. (D.Mass.2019)
- Ellicott v. American Capital Energy, Inc., 2016 WL 696089 (USDC MA) (Not Reported in F. Supp. 3d);
- Sirva Relocation v. Tynes, 2014 WL 3892202 (USDC MA) (Not Reported in F. Supp. 3d);
- Gill v. JetBlue Airways Corp., 836 F. Supp. 2d 33 (2011);
- Fordyce v. Town of Hanover, 457 Mass. 248, SJC-10643 (2010);
- Norfolk & Dedham Mut. Fire Ins. Co. v. Morrison, 456 Mass. 463, 924 N.E.2d 260, 2010 WL 1345156, , Mass., April 08, 2010(SJC – 10513);
- Normandin v. Eastland Partners, Inc., 68 Mass.App.Ct. 377 (2007);
- Humphrey v. Byron, 447 Mass. 322 (2006);
- Or v. Edwards, 62 Mass.App.Ct. 475 (2004);
- Polonsky v. Massachusetts Port Authority, 60 Mass.App.Ct. 922 (2004);
- Nelson v. Massachusetts Port Authority, 55 Mass.App.Ct. 433 (2002);
- Calhoun v. Bechtel/Parsons/Brinckerhoff, Not Reported in N.E.2d, 2002 Mass.App.Div. 79, 2002 WL 948282,, Mass.App.Div., May 06, 2002(No. 9760.);
- Massachusetts Porth Authority v. Johnson Controls, Inc., 54 Mass.App.Ct. 541 (2002);
- League of Women Voters of Massachusetts v. Secretary of Com., 425 Mass. 424 (1997);
- Dean ex rel. Estate of Dean v. Raytheon Corp., 399 F.Supp.2d 27 (2005);
- RLI Ins. Co. v. Wood Recycling, Inc., Not Reported in F.Supp.2d, 2004 WL 1895132, , D.Mass., August 16, 2004(No. Civ.A.03-10196-RWZ.);
- Irish Venture, Inc. v. Fleetguard, Inc., 270 F.Supp.2d 84 (2003);
- In re Computer Engineering Associates, Inc., 278 B.R. 665, 2002 WL 974664, , D.Mass., March 15, 2002(Bankruptcy No. 95-17971-JNF. Adversary No. 97-1599. Civ. Nos. 01-10131-REK, 01-10143-REK.);
- D’Amico v. Compass Group USA, Inc., 198 F.Supp.2d 18 (2002);
- Iverson v. Comsage, Inc., 132 F.Supp.2d 52 (2001).
- Massachusetts Bar Association ( President 2018-2019; Chair, Litigation Section, House of Delegates, 2005-2006; 2009-present)
- Commissioner, Governors Judicial Nominating Commission (2006-2007)
- American Bar Association (TIPS Leadership Academy, 2006-2009; Chair, Trial Techniques Committee, 2008-2009)
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association (President, 2006-2007; Board of Directors, 2002-2010)
- Federal Bar Association (President; Massachusetts Chapter, 2009-2010; Executive Committee, 2003-2012)
- Massachusetts Trial Lawyers Association (Treasurer & Director)
- Boston Inn of Court (Founding Member, Co-President 2001-2002)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (Trial Academy Past Director 2018 and Trial Academy Faculty, Construction and Insurance Committees)
- Defense Research Institute (Massachusetts State Representative, 2008-2010; Northeast Regional Director 2010-2013; National Membership Chair 2013-2014)
- Boston Bar Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors (Past Chairman & Director)
- Maritime Law Association (Proctor in Admiralty)